Monday, November 2, 2009

Running Birds and Foul Weather

The pendulum swung dramatically in the opposite direction this week.  Broke out for an evening hunt last Friday.  Daisy picked up the trail of one bird, which I saw, but it refused to fly.  The bugger ran about 200 yards and disappeared in a lush field of winter wheat.  Returning to the car by nightfall, another hunter and I exchanged disparaging tales in regards to running birds. Awoke Saturday with new hope.  Unfortunately, the weather didn't cooperate again.  Spencer shot a rabbit, which Daisy ran from the thick patch above the marsh. I was in the gnarly maze with her and saw the rabbit at my feet as it bolted away to the outer fields.  After four hours of hard hunting, Daisy flushed a beautiful rooster, but unfortunately, the bird escaped unharmed.  Two hours later, the skies opened up and added to our damp spirits, but luck struck just before the last bend in the trail, and I spotted a wily cockbird sneaking through the swamp grass.  We immediately cut off its escape route and Daisy was all over its trail.  The bird held surprisingly tight in a thin hedgerow.  Nearly 100 yards later, it tried to run, not fly.  Waiting for what felt like an eternity, I gave up on the bird flying, and knocked it down for good. I can't say I felt particularly wonderful about bagging that bird.  But, after hunting all day, it was nice to have at least one wild chicken for the pot; it was the least I could do.  I didn't make it out again until tonight, a blustery and bitterly cold early November evening.  My brother met Daisy and I by the lake fields.  Daisy picked up a few trails, and we heard a smattering of shots, but nothing broke our way.  The sunset was particulary beautiful.  It looked like a late January sky tonight, not November.  I am wondering if the final stocking will be tomorrow.  I hope it is, because it didn't seem like there were any birds out tonight.  If the fields are filled with new birds Friday, Saturday has real potential.  The best news already is the weather report.  Finally, for the first time all season, I won't have to slog around in snow and rain.  Sunny and mild.  Can't wait for Saturday!

Daisy's Bird Count:  11
Daisy's Rabbit Count: 1 (Keep in mind that we haven't ventured out specifically for rabbits yet.  Her count will increase by January's end.)

No comments:

Post a Comment